Don’t like or don’t want to utilize laptop speakers internally? You can disable them. Follow these procedures about How to Disable Laptop Speakers but Not Headphones.
Nearly every laptop has at least one speaker. The most typical setup, however, is to have two stereo-effect speakers.
One of the key reasons speakers are included in laptops is that they allow the operating system to transmit audio notices and other events.
Not only this, but the internal speakers are also employed as an aiding technology for people with varied skills. Naturally, the other everyday use case is media consumption.
Although many Windows users use laptop speakers, there may be occasions where you need to disable them.
There may be several reasons, such as how the laptop speakers sound, poor speakers, reasons for privacy, etc.
Why Windows may quickly deactivate laptop speakers in the Sound Settings, all you have to do is discover and switch off the laptop sound device.
Let me teach you How to Disable Laptop Speakers but Not Headphones in this fast and straightforward Windows 10 method.
Important note: The following methods apply to Windows 10 only. Use the control panel to switch off laptop speakers if you are running Windows 7.
Steps to disable laptop speakers
Whether the internal speakers, headphones (wired or wireless), or external speakers show as a sound device, every sound output device is connected to your laptop.
It enables laptop speakers to be isolated and disabled independently. In this manner, after deactivating internal laptop speakers, you can still utilize other sound output devices such as headphones, external speakers, etc.
Read More: Best Laptop for Crafting Experts Review
Note: If you have attached several sound outputs to the laptop, such as external speakers, wired or wireless headphones, etc., I recommend that you temporarily disconnect them to minimize confusion.
- Open the Windows 10 Settings app.
- Choose the option “System.”
- On the sidebar, select the “Sound” tab.
- Click on the “Sound Devices Management” section of the Output section.
- Click on the laptop speaker’s entry.
- Click on the “Disable” button.
- Laptop speakers have been disabled now.
First, open the “Start key + I” shortcut for the Windows 10 Settings app. You can also look for and access “Settings” in the Start menu. Go to the “System -> Sound” page after opening the Settings app.
Click on the “Manage sound devices” link on the Sound page under the Output section. It is where you will find all the excellent device options.
Now, click on the entry of the laptop speaker. If you have many sound output devices and cannot identify which output device is a laptop speaker, disconnect any other speaker equipment to limit the selection.
Click on the button “Disable.” This step deactivates the laptop speakers.
That’s all. It’s that easy to turn off Windows 10 laptop speakers. As I indicated earlier, only laptop speakers have been deactivated, and all other sound devices are working fine.
How to Disable Internal Speakers in Windows 10
You can disable internal speakers on Windows 10 if the internal speakers on your computer are not loud enough or of the desired quality.
Disable Internal Speakers in Windows 10
Some computers like Dell OptiPlex and others have built-in internal speakers that conserve desk space by avoiding connecting external speakers.
However, some customers find it unpleasant that if the external speaker is detached, the computer goes back to internal speakers with the same volume.
#1) Audio Drivers update
If your significant difficulty is to move yourlaptop back to internal speakers, you must resolve the issue by updating Audio Drivers on your computer.
- Right-click on Start and click Device Manager.
- Expand the sound, video, and game controller entry on the Device Manager screen.
- Next, right-click on your audio device, and in the contextual menu, pick the Driver Update option.
- Click the Auto-Seek Driver option on the following screen to allow your computer to search and install the updated device driver.
#2) Disable Internal Speakers Using Control Panel
Follow the below instructions to deactivate Windows 10 internal speakers and make external speakers the default PC speaker.
- Open the control panel and go to Sound and Hardware > Manage Sound Audio Devices.
- Right-click on the device listing on the following screen (often labeled as the Speakers) and click Disable.
- To save this change, click Apply and OK.
- Plug the external speakers into your computer’s audio-out port
The New External Speakers should be instantly recognized by your computer and set to be the default computer speakers.
#3) Disable Internal Speakers Using BIOS
If internal speakers cannot be deactivated using the Control Panel, you can deactivate them by heading to the UEFI Settings screen on your computer.
- Open Settings > Update and Security click.
- Click Recovery > Scroll down to “Advanced Startup” in the Update & Security Screen, and click Reset Now.
- Next, click on Fix > Advanced Options. 3.
- Click UEFI Firmware Settings on the Advanced Options screen.
- Click Restart on the following screen.
- Expand System Configuration > choose Audio on the UEFI page and deselect Enable Internal Audio.
- Click Apply > Exit to save your computer; this setting
Mute Speakers When Headphones Unplugged in Windows 10
The solution is to utilize Ellp, free freeware. It would be helpful for users searching for a primary non-technical method of silence.
Mute and Unmute Sound with Ellp
Ellp is a script-free automation program that operates similar to the popular Web application If This Then. It allows users to automate specific operations simply by selecting and activating cards they want.
Here you can download and install the software. After you set up Ellp, a series of cards are provided, each of which represents a process that you want to automate. Look for a “Sound” card under the category “Entertainment” when I unplug my headphones.
Read More: Best Laptop for Investment Banking
To enable the task, you have to click on the “Enable the card” button. Ellp will continue to run in the background and complete all the work for you. No complex dialogue windows, no parameters on command-line, nothing to understand.
How to Disable Laptop Speakers but Not Headphones Windows 7?
If so, set the headphones default so that Windows can only utilize the headphones when connected.
You can also try to disable any option you don’t want to play.
- Right-click on the Taskbar’s speaker icon and choose volume control options.
- Place a checkmark on “All sound-playing devices.”
- Make sure you’ve “Unchecked the default communication device.”
- Mark checkmark on the option which you want to play and unmark which you wish to disable.
How to Switch Between Headphones and Speakers Windows 10?
- Click the small speaker icon on your Windows taskbar next to the clock.
- Choose the small up arrow to the right of your audio output device.
- Choose your chosen output from the list that appears.
How to Turn off Monitor Speakers Windows 10?
The speakers can be turned off using your PC audio settings. Click on the speaker in the system tray if you are using windows 10.
Just shoot the volume slider on the playback device. You can click on the dropdown, the system settings will be revealed.
How to Turn Off One Speaker on a Laptop Windows 10?
I can only propose right-clicking on the speaker icon in the notification tray and choosing Playback devices.
- Double click on the speakers
- Choose the Levels tab
- Choose balance next to the audio output
- You can turn the terrible speaker down here (L or R)
Headphones Plugged in but Sound Coming From Speakers HP Laptop.
Go to the control panel, the sound and hardware, the audio management, and pick that you wish to utilize.
I have all this translated from my PC because it’s not English, so that the names can be a bit different for you. Your headphone jack may be broken if your headphones don’t show up there.
Read Complete Guide on Driver Easy
FAQs ― How to Disable Laptop Speakers but Not Headphones?
How do I toggle between headphones and speakers?
2) Choose the small up arrow on the right of your audio output device.
3) From the selection that appears, select your selected output.
How do you get your laptop off of headphone mode?
2) Expand the Audio input and output tab, then right-click on the device and click Disable.
Why when I plug headphones in speakers stay on?
If so, set the headphones by default, so Windows will only utilize them when connected… Make sure you’ve “Unchecked the default communication device.”
How do I separate headphones and speakers in Windows 10?
You want to check ‘Play two different audio streams concurrently’ on the front and rear output devices and ‘Set separate all input jacks as separate input devices.’